Teeth grinding can cause a variety of problems for both dental health and every day quality of life. Known as Bruxism, teeth grinding typically occurs at night and many patients do not realize that it may be the underlying cause of their frequent headaches, jaw pain or tooth damage.
Dr. Natasha Radosavljevic is a Dawson Academy trained dentist and has extensive training and experience in diagnosing and treating teeth grinding.
Bruxism can have a variety of symptoms and side effects, some of which may affect daily life.
Few clinicians are trained to properly identify, diagnose and treat temporomandibular joint disorders (TMD). Clearwater dentist Dr. Radosavljevic has completed post-graduate training in the diagnosis and treatment of TMD, to bring patients the highest level of care
Signs & Symptoms of Bruxism
Common signs of bruxism include:
- Worn teeth
- Dull or abraded tooth enamel
- Tooth Sensitivity
- Broken fillings and/or crowns
- Headaches, especially in the morning
- Jaw pain or soreness
Treatment for Tooth Grinding
There is no definitive treatment for bruxism. Dr. Radosavljevic will perform a thorough evaluation and your therapy will depend on your condition. In many cases, conservative treatment using a mouth guard or splint is effective in reducing symptoms and the risk of tooth damage.
- Occlusal Splint / Night Guard: An occlusal splint is a removable appliance best suited for patients with a balanced bite and healthy TMJ. The teeth grinding mouth guard is worn at night to protect teeth from grinding and clenching.
- Orthodontics: If your teeth are not in proper alignment, Dr. Radosavljevic may suggest orthodontic treatment to reposition teeth and allow them to fit harmoniously, thus preventing grinding and clenching.
- Bite Equilibration: Bite equilibration, or bite correction therapy, involves the dentist making minor adjustments to the teeth to allow them to fit together properly, eliminating stress and pressure.
- Restorative Dentistry: Once the bruxism has been successfully managed, the next step is often to repair worn or broken teeth. Dr. Radosavljevic offers restorative dentistry procedures to bring teeth back to optimal health and esthetics. Restorative dental treatments may include dental crowns, tooth bonding or dental veneers.